By Zach Arnold | June 24, 2007
The Associated Press is reporting that ESPN is including MMA fighters as nominees in their Best Fighter category, which originally used to be ‘Best Boxer.’ Somehow, I don’t think Kid Yamamoto and Fedor are going to be nominated any time soon.
NHB News (Japanese) reports that the K-1 Holland event drew a 10.9% TV rating on Fuji TV. Not a great number. Usually that number is in line with what K-1 draws for their Las Vegas events on TV. The Las Vegas shows are generally their worst TV shows in terms of drawing ratings.
Reuters has an article this morning talking about Mark Burnett producing a reality show for Elite XC. Meanwhile, is there is a new pilot for a TV show involving Rashad Evans, Nate Marquardt, and Keith Jardine?
An odd, unsigned editorial was published in The Chicago Tribune today about the Illinois General Assembly passing legislation on MMA in the state. The public editor of the news is Tim McNulty (e-mail here).
What’s next for Kimbo Slice? Well, according to The New York Times, Kimbo is going to be asked to participate in an upcoming Hollywood party produced by Courtney Solomon involving the SuicideGirls. It will involve ‘lucky fans’ going out on dates with the girls, including cage fighting with Kimbo… and the ‘dates’ will be aired on the Internet.
Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle is the main event for this weekend’s upcoming Inoki Genome Federation show in Tokyo at Ryogoku Kokugikan. Naoya Ogawa, Kiyoshi Tamura, and Josh Barnett are also booked for the event.
St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Jeff Gordon calls Jens Pulver his ‘Loser of the Week.’
If you haven’t already listened to this week’s Fight Opinion Radio show, go listen to it.
It’s time to do a roll call of MMA blogs/sites and RSS feeds. If you want to promote your RSS feed, plug it in the comments section.
Onto today’s headlines.
- The Eagle Tribune (MA): The Ultimate Fighters – controversial sport has spread like wildfire
- MMA on Tap: K-1 World MAX 6/28 Nippon Budokan card line-up
- Sam Caplan: Thoughts on TUF 5 finale (he thought the show production was terrible)
- ProphetFighting: How I was wrong about Kimbo Slice
- UFC Takedown: Kimbo Slice vs. Ray Mercer show review (w/ photos)
- Inside Mizzou: Rich Franklin likes the University of Kentucky Wildcats
- WTOC 11 (GA): MMA on the rise
- The Fayetteville Observer (NC): Legislators spar on toughman, MMA fighting
- The Winnipeg Sun: Representing MMA part and parcel for UFC’s Randy Couture
- The Winnipeg Sun: MMA fighters have a brawling good time at UCW
- Press Release: Robert Parham to be honored at 2007 Masters HOF
- The Gloucester Daily Times (NJ): Wrestling roots rescue Josh Rhodes
- The Gloucester Daily Times (NJ): Alexis Aquino, Doug Gordon learn from defeat
- The Houston Chronicle: Tito Ortiz still makes dollars and sense for UFC and White
- Komikazee: TUF 5 season finale review
- UFC Junkie: UFC Fight Night 10 medical suspensions