By Zach Arnold | November 11, 2011
Clay Guida is very confident (ask Showdown Joe) about his chances of beating Ben Henderson. Extremely confident. Ben Henderson is also very confident, so much so that he pulled the Razor Ramon toothpick routine during his media session.
The folks at MMA Mania are discussing the rumor of the Guida/Henderson winner facing Frankie Edgar for the UFC Lightweight title. That fight would be the main event of the UFC Japan 2012 show. I’ll leave that item for you to comment on.
If you forgot who is fighting on Saturday’s card, here you go. All the talk about Guida/Henderson is why the fight isn’t airing on Fox TV. Even if it doesn’t air on television Saturday night, Dana White says he will find a way to get that fight on television ASAP. Speaking of TV, Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area will have a post-fight UFC 119 show (UFC 119 is in San Jose at HP Pavilion) w/ Josh Thomson. That’s a first for the network.
Courtesy of our friends at FightHubTV.com, here are some fighters making their predictions on how the Cain Velasquez/JDS fight will turn out. My prediction — Cain wins by decision after five rounds. I’m feeling slightly confident in this pick given that Dana White didn’t shoot down the fact that Cain got hurt a little bit during training.
A look at the rest of the odds for Saturday’s UFC fights:
- Cain Velasquez is a -175 favorite (nearly 9 to 5) over Junior dos Santos (+150). Initially when the lines opened, Cain was around a -140 favorite. The cash is headed in his direction.
- Dustin Poirier is a -300 favorite (3 to 1) over Pablo Garza (+250).
- Aaron Rosa is a -150 favorite (3 to 2) over Matt Lucas.
- Mike Pierce is a -350 favorite (7 to 2) over Paul Bradley.
- Mackens Semerzier (-120) and Robert Peralta (-110) are neck-and-neck.
- Damarques Johnson is a -270 favorite (14 to 5) over Clay Harvison.
- Kid Yamamoto is a -360 favorite (18 to 5) over Darren Uyenoyama. Kid has been busy training in San Diego for this fight.
- Ricardo Lamas is a -140 favorite (7 to 5) over Cub Swanson.
- Cole Escovedo is a -260 favorite (13 to 5) over Bruce Leeroy.
Media note: First, Jon Anik leaves ESPN to work for the UFC & FX. Now, Larry Pepe will do work for Fox Sports handling pre-fight and post-fight duties on radio.
If you’re interested in non-UFC fights on Saturday, there’s always Bellator on MTV2 & Spike.com. Here’s what’s on tap for that event at Casino Rama in Ontario:
- Welterweight tournament finals: Ben Saunders is a -140 favorite (7 to 5) over Douglas Lima.
- Middleweight tournament finals: Alexander Shlemenko is a -260 favorite (13 to 5) over Vitor Vianna.
- Light Heavyeights: Roger Hollett is a -350 favorite (5 to 2) over John Hawk.
- Featherweights: Alexandre Bezerra is a -400 favorite (4 to 1) over Doug Evans.
- Chris Horodecki is a -400 favorite (4 to 1) over Mike Corey.
The company’s new tagline is ‘where title shots are earned, not given.’ Joe Warren will defend his Featherweight title against Pat Curran soon.