By Zach Arnold | August 29, 2007
When I was 13 years old, asking for secret sauce meant the mystery dipping condiment with your french fries. Now, secret sauce has a whole new meaning for 13 year olds. (Hat tip: Mikeinformer.) More reaction to this story can be found here. Plus, more discussion about steroids and UFC fighters.
How MMA’s popularity is changing street fighting.
It is interesting to see Apy Echteld talking about Fedor negotiations. Echteld is Fedor’s manager in Holland (and promoter of 2H2H events), while Vadim Finkelstein is the primary backer of Red Devil. Here’s a flashback regarding Apy.
MMA super smart-mark and Elite XC commentator Jay Glazer is in a lot of hot water over comments he made about Kentucky. You know it’s not a good day when you have to start your column with this line: “First, despite the headline, I do not think the state of Kentucky is the pits.” To give Jay credit, he always comes across as a good sport about all-things MMA and he has an interesting news item about Randy Couture in his latest column:
When the UFC heavyweight champion Randy “The Natural” Couture dominated Gabriel Gonzaga on Saturday night to defend his title, it took all of about five minutes for a coach in the NFL to ask me if I knew Randy and if I could hook him up with the champ to have him come in and talk to the team. Then by the next morning, another coach called. Three days later, a player called then another coach called.
I found it amazing that throughout my training camp tour, all these players, coaches, front office types and even equipment people wanted to talk about was mixed martial arts. It used to be where I’d go to camp and get asked a million football questions while watching practice. Now, I get 999,990 MMA questions and 10 football queries.
So far, so good regarding no one failing their UFC 74 drug tests.
Dan Severn was interviewed on Fight Network Radio yesterday (audio here).
Mauro Ranallo and Frank Trigg will be the commentators for this Saturday’s Art of War PPV event from Dallas, TX.
Will we get to see Don Frye vs. Josh Barnett on 9/8 in Nagoya for the Inoki Genome Federation show? Count me in as interested.
This is a fantastic comment about what is happening now when you see various MMA companies becoming “publicly-traded.” A great summary. Apparently, there are more public offerings coming (like this). Just look at the financials.
I can’t give a high-enough recommendation for you to read Bryan Alvarez’s newsletter this week.
An interview with Cung Le.
Onto today’s headlines.
- Komikazee: MMA Smackdown #38 w/ Pedro Rizzo
- Fox Sports: Video – Dan Henderson eyes Rampage
- Boxing Scene: Is there too much pound-for-pound?
- The Hartford Courant: Floyd Mayweather Jr. has plans to hang out with Mark Cuban and Wayne Newton
- Fightlinker: Josh Barnett is putting on a show
- Prophet Fighting: Jeff Monson stirs the pot on steroids
- MMA Analyst: The Sean Sherk Chronicles – in-depth look at his appeal
- The Olympian (WA): Rampage on race
- Grapple Monkey: Satoko Shinashi pitches my tent
- The Guam Pacific Daily NEws: Islands’ efforts bear fruit
- Sherdog: Pro Elite signs multi-million dollar investment deal with South Korea’s SpiritMC
- The Newark Star-Ledger: Dan Henderson ready to prove he’s best at Light Heavyweight
- UFC HP: Marcus David – “The Irish Hand Grenade” is back
- The Winnipeg Sun: Promoter Tony Condello trying to line up Chuck Liddell and GSP for appearances at the Winnipeg Convention Centre next Friday
- The Sun Herald (MS): Stephan Bonnar to appear at Alan Belcher’s Remix Martial Arts gym grand re-opening