By Zach Arnold | August 24, 2007
ESPN practically ran a five-minute infomercial, I mean “cooler talk” segment with Joe Rogan on SportsCenter about “ultimate fighting” with Fred Hickman. It was all promotion for UFC 74 and who Joe Rogan’s top UFC fighters are. He pushed Sean Sherk really hard on TV and not once was Sherk’s steroid suspension mentioned.
Seconds Out is reporting that Setanta is offering UFC 75 to subscribers for no extra charge.
Another MMA/dogfighting comparison made. In the same newspaper (The Chicago Sun-Times), sportswriter Rick Telander is in Las Vegas to cover the UFC 74 event. Telander was/is not a fan of MMA (he wasn’t as of October 2006) when he did the boilerplate anti-MMA article for his newspaper.
Onto more of today’s headlines.
- The Toronto Star: Like it or not, MMA here to stay on TV
- AOL Fanhouse: Is Gabriel Gonzaga about to become a star?
- The Philadelphia Daily News: Randy Couture says its only natural that UFC will grow as a sport
- The Press of Atlantic City (NJ): A.C. league gives amateurs MMA experience
- The Opelousas Daily World (LA): Kenward “Boo” Bernice to fight on Saturday in Lafayette (he will be cornered by Spencer Fisher)
- MMA on Tap: Art of War 3 odds
- The Fight Network: Patrick ‘can do’ Cote
- Bloody Elbow: What if this Randy Couture shows up?
- MMA Madness: Interview with Roger Huerta
- Sam Caplan: Lighten up on Brock Lesnar!
- Jeremy Botter: UFC 74 predictions
- MMA Videos: UFC 74 is upon us (several video links included)
- Fightlinker: Kevin Iole sticks to the story
- Fox Sports (Alex Marvez): Staph infections go beyond NFL
- Tim Leidecker: UFC targets Germany