By Zach Arnold | August 10, 2007
People in boxing don’t know how to respond to the rise of MMA in America. So, naturally, a cure has been found – let’s have a media-driven symposium called “Is Boxing Down for the Count?” and have a bunch of people who made millions in boxing explain why the industry isn’t dead.
CBS Sportsline writer Mike Freeman is back with his UFC-bashing ways.
I got e-mails from friends and readers in Japan about this story, so obviously I’ll link to it here. For the first time in the history of Japanese baseball, a player has failed a drug test. Not surprisingly, it happens to be a foreign player (Ricky Guttomson). The substance in question that Guttormson tested positive for is finasteride. The Japanese angle on this test failure is that finasteride is a masking agent, although it’s a drug more commonly seen in hair-growth products. More information at The Fanhouse.
I’m horrified by this article claiming that Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Ryoto Machida will be a ‘turning point’ in UFC for international competition.
Medical suspensions resulting from last weekend’s WEC Las Vegas event.
The latest information on the UFC/Fedor negotiations.
The trials and tribulations of Asashoryu.
Oh yeah, there’s a K-1 show in Las Vegas on Saturday.
There are now Sherdog fighter rankings.
Onto today’s headlines.
- MMA Madness: Does the US MMA judging system need revamping? How would you change it?
- KSBY (San Luis Obispo, CA): Tee up with Action News for the Ryan Bennett Memorial Golf tournament
- UFC Mania: The Huntington Beach Businessman – interview with Tito Ortiz
- The Houston Chronicle: WEC update – Urijah Faber versus Jeff Curran potential fall match-up
- The Battle Creek Enquirer (MI): Cage fighting show cancelled
- The Dayton Daily News: It’s ‘Lights Out’ at MMA show in Indianapolis this Saturday
- Crave Online: The trouble with the Gracies
- The Deseret News (UT): Jiu-jitsu builds self-confidence
- 411 Mania: The Throwdown MMA fighter rankings
- The Daily Texan: Teaching the fight – former UFC champion Bas Rutten in Austin to teach locals how to fight
- Niagara This Week: Doctor prescribes martial arts
- MMA Weekly: Paulo Filho discusses WEC title and picture
- The Fight Network: Jon Murphy vs. Tony Bonello booked for next ShoXC event
- MMA California: Vanilla Gorilla (Lodune Sincaid) ready for kick ass fight Saturday
- UFC Junkie: Justin McCully vs. Christian Wellisch set for UFC 76
- UFC Mania: Pictures of Cro Cop training for Kongo fight at UFC 75
- The Anderson Herald Bulletin (Indiana): UFL brings MMA to Conseco Fieldhouse
- The Thomasville Times: Boxing really needs a shot in the arm
- The Cecil Whig (MD): Life-changing experiences
- Sportsnet (Canada): Joe “Daddy” Stevenson in the lightweight mix
- The Hemet Valley Chronicle (CA): SJHS wrestler wins belt in first cage fight
- The Visalia Times-Delta: Mike Cook gets martial arts title shot
- The Korea Times: ‘Goliath’ Choi safe to fight?
- Komikazee: $1500 USD MMA hardcover collectors edition picture book
- Bodog Fight Files: Interview with Mark Coleman – Part 1
- The News and Star (UK): BBC TV cameras to be at War in Workington IV show
- CBS 2 (Los Angeles): Diego Sanchez is back and ready for UFC title contention
- CBS Sports Central: Interview with Josh Barnett
- The Indianapolis Star: Fight craze – MMA quickly becoming most popular combat sport
- The Indianapolis Star: Darrell “Bulldog” Smith takes to violent sport
- The Intelligencer (Philadelphia): Martial arts students excel at tournament