« UFC 171: Johny Hendricks survives round one of Strikeforce Welterweight division takeover | Home | Current casino owner who books fight shows appointed to Nevada athletic commission by Brian Sandoval »
By Zach Arnold | March 17, 2014
Download the show
The second episode of the Fight Opinion Radio 2014 campaign can be downloaded right here (http://www.fightopinion.com/podcasts/foradio-3-17-2014.mp3). To automatically subscribe to the Fight Opinion Radio podcast, use this RSS link: http://feeds.feedburner.com/fightopinionradio. This link should work for all RSS programs and podcatching programs. You’ll never miss any of our new shows.
Time length of this week’s show: 36 minutes (17 MB MP3)
Interact with us at Fight Opinion Radio
The best way to support us is with a financial contribution. All money contributed pays for show & site-related expenses. http://www.fightopinion.com/donations is the magic link.
Reach Mr. Whaledog on Twitter @whaledog & Mr. Arnold on Twitter @fightopinion. Send us feedback on the shows either in the comments section or via e-mail at email@example.com. Mailbag questions can be sent to that e-mail address as well, just make sure to include the word “mailbag” in the e-mail title.
Show theme: A loaded combat sports event schedule over the next three months
Three UFC shows within the last three weeks and it’s not slowing down. There are at least 10 more shows over the next 4 months. If you live & breathe combat sports 24/7, it’s great. If you’re a casual fan or burnt out, you’re waving the white flag. When Nikita Krylov is fighting on a main card of a PPV, you know the matchmaking is stretched thin.
For many years, The Ultimate Fighter has acted as the UFC’s quasi-minor league system. Then they decided to sign all the talented free agents and left the cupboard bare for TUF (on the men’s side). Is it time for the UFC to create their own official minor league system?
Special guest: “Zach Arnold guy” Mauro Ranallo
He was recently on The (Jim) Ross Report and the boss of Fight Opinion decided it was time for an interrogation of a man, myth, and legend that we created. For the first time in years, we sat down with Showtime boxing & GLORY kickboxing play-by-play man Mauro Ranallo. You can reach Mauro on Twitter @mauroranallo or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A sample of some of the questions asked during the interrogation:
- What was it like during the fall of PRIDE with the yakuza scandal? Why were so many people kept in the dark about the impending collapse?
- What would have happened if PRIDE had made the jump to the United States before Spike TV & WWE helped launch the Ultimate Fighter boom?
- Playing revisionist history: What if PRIDE had sold their assets to Ed Fishman instead of the UFC?
- With the push for both UFC’s Fight Pass and WWE Network, what does the future of PPV look like for combat sports?
- Remember the sports media types who said that MMA’s success would become the death of boxing around the time of Chuck vs. Rampage?
- How difficult it is for hardcore fight fans to keep up with an oversaturated MMA event schedule
- What Mauro Ranallo would like to be remembered for the most after his days as a play-by-play announcer are over
- The differences/similarities between UFC buying out Strikeforce & PRIDE assets versus WWE buying out the assets of WCW and the impact it had on combat sports
To Zack Nelson for past & present support of Fight Opinion Radio with music. We hope to work extensively with him and other bands in the future for a step-up in production values for Fight Opinion Radio.