By Zach Arnold | March 24, 2012
The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board (NJSACB), the Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC) Medical Chair and lead MMA/Muay Thai physician for the NJSACB, Dr. Sherry Wulkan, in conjunction with Atlantic Health of Morristown Hospital, is pleased to announce a CME accredited symposium in Combat Sports Medicine.
“The symposium kicks off the first Combat Sports fellowship elective in the nation. We believe this approach toward proactively training physicians in the nuances of Combat Sports medicine will help meet the need for well versed ringside doctors for these increasingly popular athletic contests now and in the future.” Dr. Wulkan
“In the interest of fighter health and safety, we hope both the symposium and this novel approach to Sports Medicine Fellowship training, sparks interest in incorporating Combat Sports Medicine into medical curricula throughout the country.” Dr. Wulkan
Combative Sports Medicine Symposium – This comprehensive symposium will introduce participants to Combative Sports medical issues from pre-evaluation to post fight.
Atlantic Sports Health Conference Center
111 Madison Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07960
Friday April 6, 2012 from 8:00 AM to 5:45 PM EDT
Attendees may earn up to 7.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits.
Registration: 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM
- 8:30am – 8:40am: Introduction to Combat Sports Medicine, Damion Martins, MD / Sheryl Wulkan, M.D.
- 8:40am – 8:50am: Opening Remarks: A Commissioner’s Viewpoint, Commissioner Aaron Davis, NJSACB
- 8:50am – 9:00am: A Fighter/Trainer’s Perspective On Medical Issues in Combat Sports, Jim Miller and Mike Constantino
- 9:00am – 9:45am: An Overview of Ringside Medicine, Dominic Coletta, M.D.
- 9:45am – 10:15am: Legal Issues in Combat Sports, What every ringside physician should know : Nicholas Lembo J.D. L.L.M., Association of Boxing Commissions Legal Committee Chair
- 10:30am – 11:30am: Facial Lacerations and ENT Issues in Combat Sports Medicine: Kenneth Remsen, M.D., F.A.C.S. and Howard Taylor, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- 11:30am – 12:20pm: Neurologic Concerns in Combat Sports Medicine, Theodore Conte, M.D.
- 1:00pm – 2:00pm: Ophthalmologic Concerns in Combat Sports, Steven Rodis, M..D.
- 2:00pm – 2:50pm: Infectious Diseases in Combat Sports, Robert Smick, D.O.
- 3:00pm – 4:00pm: Orthopedic Concerns in Combat Sports, Michael Kelly, D.O.
- 4:00pm – 4:45pm: Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation for Combat Sports Participants, Dr. Sharon Wentworth
- 5:00pm – 6:00pm: Current Controversies in Ringside Medicine: Sheryl Wulkan, M.D.
- 6:00pm – 6:30pm: Ringside Acuity: Fight Clips with Discussion: Sheryl Wulkan, M.D.
For further information or registration assistance, please contact Sheryl Wulkan, MD at Sherry.Wulkan@gmail.com.