By Zach Arnold | August 4, 2007
A big 90-minute show this week. First, we go through the MMA calendar this month and preview some of the upcoming big fights in WEC & UFC. Second, we take a look at some of the absurd claims that Dana White made in a recent ESPN The Magazine interview. Our stance is pretty clear in regards to his credibility on certain issues.
Sheldon Goldberg stops by to make a brief appearance. He talks about the death of Karl Gotch and why MMA should pay attention to the story. After Sheldon’s segment, Josh Barnett stops by to talk about a lot of important issues in MMA. In the 40-minute interview, Barnett addresses the following topics:
- His thoughts on the death of Karl Gotch, who Gotch was, and what catch wrestling is all about
- The relationship between professional wrestling (and the U-System) to MMA
- Josh’s future plans in the fight game
- A debate about MMA fighter salaries and whether or not the pay structure in UFC is currently fair
- What kind of rating would Josh give UFC so far in terms of marketing the top PRIDE stars in the cage
- The prospects of Barnett vs. Fedor ever taking place (and if so, where it might happen)
- Thoughts on many MMA fighters recently failing drug tests and the issue of maintaining kayfabe in the fight industry
- Making the case that fighters are not educated enough about what supplements to avoid taking and how the state athletic commissions should improve their communications with fighters
- Making the case that the current drug testing process might be flawed
- Reminiscing about the 2001 UFC fight with Pedro Rizzo and his strategy going into the fight
- Where you can find Josh on the web (erikpaulson.com & joshbarnett.tv) and who he’s currently training with (Ginele Marquez and Shayna Baszler)
The 57th edition of Fight Opinion Radio is now online and available to download. Download this week’s show here.
Or you can use the great flash player to listen to it streaming (without having to use an external program). Check it out (down below).
Podcasting: Use http://feeds.feedburner.com/fightopinionradio. This link should work for all RSS programs and podcatching programs. You’ll never miss another show again.
If you have iTunes, do the following:
- In your iTunes program, go to Advanced. Then choose the Subscribe to Podcast option.
- Type in http://feeds.feedburner.com/fightopinionradio.
- The newest edition of Fight Opinion Radio will be automatically downloaded and future editions of FOR will download for you as well, hassle-free.
With the listenership for Fight Opinion Radio dramatically increasing week by week, we definitely could use your financial support for the Fight Opinion project. If you want to contribute to us in a way that directly helps us out with our web server costs, you can donate directly to our web host – A Small Orange. Please help us out. I will personally contact you and give my sincere thanks if you make a donation.
To contact us for show feedback, you can e-mail any of us on the Fight Opinion radio staff.
- Zach Arnold – email@example.com
- Jeff Thaler – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erin Bucknell – email@example.com
- Luke Nicholson – LukeNicholson25@hotmail.com