By Zach Arnold | July 19, 2007
By Zach Arnold
After I wrote my post today breaking down the latest drug statistics from the CSAC, I decided to focus my time finalizing a pair of articles on MMA’s drug culture for publication. While my energy was focused on that, news broke that both UFC 155-pound champion Sean Sherk and Hermes Franca tested positive (Sherk for nandralone, Franca for drostanolone). Suffice to say, I will be modifying my drug articles to reflect today’s news. I will also be modifying tonight’s Fight Opinion Radio taping to reflect the updated information on steroids in California. Suffice to say, I’m not going to be in a happy mood on the show.
For the time-being, here are some links covering the latest drug-testing failures. Take a few minutes out of your schedule and read them.
- The Fight Network: Sherk, Franca test positive
- MMA Weekly: Franca tests positive and Sherk tests positive
- UFC Junkie: Sean Sherk & Hermes Franca both fail UFC 73 drug tests
- Sherdog: Dana White comments on UFC steroid policy
- Bloody Elbow: Does Dana dare risk the curse of the Lightweight tournament?
- UFC Mania: Lightweight Losers – Sherk, Franca test positive for steroids following UFC 73
- Five Ounces of Pain: UFC releases statement in response to failed drug tests
- Kevin Iole: MMA needs to address steroids problem
- Fight Report: Sean Sherk, Hermes Franca test positive for steroids (these guys predicted Sherk would fail his drug test BEFORE UFC 73 happened)
- MMA HQ: MMA steroid epidemic continues