By Zach Arnold | June 12, 2007
More ridiculousness about the Tommy Morrison ‘MMA’ debut in The Verde Independent. Speaking of Morrison, he appeared on The Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio yesterday. Larry Holmes is not happy about Morrison’s PR blitz.
The LA Times is reporting that both James Toney and Danny Batchelder tested positive for steroids. The two men fought in San Jose on May 24th. Both men are suspended for one year.
It was interesting to see Kevin Iole (formerly of The Las Vegas Review-Journal and now Yahoo Sports) on the UFC 72 preview special on Spike TV. Luke Thomas says that he has had enough of Iole’s MMA analysis.
If you watched the Fight Night show, you heard Joe Rogan comment that ‘he read on the Internet’ that someone said that Jason Black looked like a skeleton at the weigh-ins. Fightlinker wrote this on Tuesday. Is Joe Rogan a closet mark for Fightlinker? I guess drunk radio really does sell! Or not.
Dana White to be honored at the 2007 Masters Hall of Fame for ‘his outstanding achievements in the Martial Arts.’
Sam Caplan points out that King of the Cage boss Terry Trebilcock was on The Fight Network radio show on Tuesday to talk about the allegations that PRIDE’s office asked Quinton “Rampage” Jackson to work his debut fight against Kazushi Sakuraba. Listen to the interview here. As I stated on Tuesday, the two people Jackson was alluding to that asked him to do the work were PRIDE USA bosses Yukino Kanda and Hideki Yamamoto. Trebilcock confirms that notion in the radio interview on Tuesday. The question I have is why is it taking the MMA media so long to question Kanda and Yamamoto’s business activities? For years inside the business, people have alluded to them and some of the contract negotiations they have had with fighters. Plus, they show up at UFC events and were around at UFC shows during the time that was spent in negotiations for the PRIDE asset sale deal with DSE. They are the ‘biochemists’ that Jackson alluded to last year. I asked this question last year and I’ll ask it again, since the answer is probably self-explanatory — why were ‘biochemists’ in charge of an office for the largest Japanese MMA company? What was the specific business link or connection to make it happen?
I was told of this rumor a few days ago, but there wasn’t any confirmation of it until today – Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira leaving BTT.
Jordan Breen has his own radio show now. He brought up the UFC/dog-fighting comparisons made in the media. I’ve been the person in the MMA media who has been mainly bringing this up. Give the demonstrative one some credit next time, Jordan. Or else you’re going to get more wacky callers.
There is something about Fight Opinion that makes everyone on here a star other than me. Adam Morgan, our newest writer, is no exception. Within a couple of weeks of writing, he’s already gotten attention from USA Today and now will be appearing on the radio. If only I was able to collect 20% of the appearance fees like an agent…
There is a fight nicknamed ‘The Red Power Ranger’?
Amanda Beard (now of Playboy fame) made an appearance this morning on Mike and Mike (ESPN Radio). During the interview, she talked about how much she loves UFC and has given up on boxing. Listen to the interview here.
Onto today’s headlines.
- MMA Weekly: Ed “Short Fuse” Herman ready to explode
- Komikazee: MMA Smackdown #27 w/ Royal Burnell & Zach Arnold
- The South Florida Sun-Sentinel: Spencer Fisher avenges his 2006 UFC loss to Sam Stout (UFC Fight Night 10 draws 5,118 paid)
- Fight Report: UFC Fight Night 10 results
- The Houston Chronicle: Spencer Fisher out-slugs Sam Stout to win re-match
- The Canadian Press: Canadian lightweight Sam Stout loses to Spencer Fisher in UFC re-match
- UFC Mania: UFC Fight Night 10 – A great show at an even better price
- CBS Sportsline: Spencer Fisher evens score with Sam Stout at UFC Fight Night 10
- UFC HP: Let’s Play Three – Fisher gets even with Stout in Instant Classic
- The Miami Herald: Spencer Fisher exacts sweet revenge
- The Long Beach Press-Telegram: Spencer Fisher stops Sam Stout in a close slugfest
- The Express-Times (New Jersey): MMA is natural fit for Belvidere’s Jamal Patterson
- The UNLV Rebel Yell: Urijah Faber delivers in true defense
- The UNLV Rebel Yell: Randy Couture claims prodigious predictions
- Philadelphia Weekly: Why I fight – MMA has hit the mainstream
- Philadelphia Weekly: The Art of Darkness (Kimbo Slice)
- The Oregon News-Review: Sports Jury – what is your opinion of MMA?
- The Sweet Science: Boxing Writer’s Assoc. Dinner Report, Part 1
- Lay and Pray: Blood on the Asphalt: The hypocrisy of MMA opponents
- MMA California: Murilo Ninja seminar on June 30th in Los Angeles
- The Roanoke Times: Cage back up for Ruckus – area MMA promoter has ambition plans in building the sport
- Anthem Fights: ‘Fight Girls’ review
- LA Weekly: The women of Army Wives and Fight Girls
- CBS Sportsline: Interview with Cung Le
- The Clanton Advertiser (AL): Local athlete Darryl Cummings having success in the world of MMA
- Delaware Online: The Ultimate Fight – MMA fighters test their inner (and outer) strength
- IFL PR: New member added to Board of Directors
- UFC Junkie: Mac Danzig a cast member on TUF season 6
- The Huddersfield Daily Examiner: Cage fighting proves knock-out with fans
- AOL Sportsblog: Even with no household names, UFC still puts on a good show
- The Fort Wayne News-Sentinel (IN): Jon Fitch continues rise in UFC welterweight ranks
- The Canadian Press: Forrest Griffin-Hector Ramirez could be the fight to deliver fireworks at UFC 72 in Belfast