By Zach Arnold | February 8, 2007
Despite a report (and claim by UFC) stating that UFC is preparing to run in the state of New Jersey, information provided to us claims otherwise. The New Jersey State Athletic Control board has supposedly not been contacted with any request to hold dates, get a venue permit, or approve matches for a UFC event in the state.
Elite XC announced that Mauro Ranallo & Jay Glazer have been added to their commentating team.
Red meat time. Weekly Pro reports Akira Maeda has announced his intentions of bringing back RINGS by the end of 2007, teasing a match between himself and Tsuyoshi Kohsaka. If you know Japanese, keep your eye out on Maeda’s blog.
Results from our last site poll question: Predict the PPV buyrate for UFC 67.
- 300,000-500,000 PPV buys – 42%
- 500,000-700,000 PPV buys – 30%
- Over 700,000 PPV buys – 16%
- Under 300,000 PPV buys – 12%
A new poll question has been added to the right side of the page.
Onto today’s headlines.
Here’s more red meat news if you follow the fight industry insiders and the gangs. Police raid gangster headquarters over series of shooting incidents.
- Sherdog: Ed Fishman interview (note the comment about Sakakibara’s future with the company and no reference to the alleged real boss, Ishizaka. And in regards to Gross’s question about the Korean TV station paying more money for PRIDE programming, that was a TV network-to-TV network transaction, not a network-to-PRIDE transaction.)
- The Prophet’s Place: UFC + PRIDE = A MMA ‘match’ made in heaven?
- The Scotsman: UK cash heist suspect Lee Murray appears in Morocco court (the even stranger part of this story is that Britain reportedly is giving up a suspected terrorist in exchange for Murray)
- Sean Salmon: Full-Time Fighter (debut column)
- KING 5 (Seattle): MMA, not just for the boys
- The Beverage Network: SPIKE Shooter launches into hardcore drink category in Colorado, Northern California (they sponsor Georges St. Pierre)
- CBS Sportsline: Five ounces of pain: Just appreciate Cro Cop’s fighting (the author also has a blog here)