By Zach Arnold | July 27, 2013
Dana White has been spending the week touting the prospects of a future fight between Georges St. Pierre and Rory MacDonald. St. Pierre has a fight coming up with Johny Hendricks but it seems clear that the desire to get to a fight between the two Montreal teammates.
And then Saturday night’s semi-main event fight happened between Rory MacDonald and Jake Ellenberger. It was awful to watch. Instead of Rory looking like a beast like he did against BJ Penn, he put on a technical clinic without going for the finish.
30-28 MacDonald. Great exhibition of jab, generalship and technique but pretty lame to watch. Still, he made Ellenberger look totally lost.
— Jordan Breen (@jordanbreen) July 28, 2013
Ellenberger put on a horrible performance. Rory showed great hips and an even better jab. However, if this is the fight that UFC wanted to use as a launching pad to get GSP/Rory… well, not so much. The only thing that fight will launch is a Dana White tirade about how Firas Zahabi is a sport killer like Greg Jackson.
Dana says he no idea what to do with Rory MacDonald. Doesn't sound too pleased with the Pimpled Hipster.
— FrontRowBrian (@FrontRowBrian) July 28, 2013
Dana White: "Jake Ellenberger did nothing. Rory did just enough to win." Dana likes idea of Rory MacDonald vs. Robbie Lawler
— Jack Bratcher (@PROMMA) July 28, 2013
Event: UFC on Fox 8 (Saturday, July 27th at Key Arena in Seattle)
TV: Fuel TV/Fox broadcast
- Bantamweights: Yaotzin Meza defeated John Albert in R2 in 2′49 with a choke sleeper hold.
- Lightweights: Justin Salas defeated Aaron Riley after 3R by split decision.
- Ladies (135 pounds): Germaine De Randamie defeated Julie Kedzie after 3R by split decision.
- Middleweights: Ed Herman defeated Trevor Smith after 3R by split decision.
- Lightweight: Daron Cruickshank defeated Yves Edwards after 3R by split decision.
- Lightweights: Melvin Guillard defeated Mac Danzig in R2 in 2′47 by KO.
- Lightweights: Danny Castillo defeated Tim Means after 3R by split decision.
- Lightweights: Jorge Masvidal defeated Michael Chiesa in R2 in 4′59 by choke.
- Ladies (135 pounds): Liz Carmouche defeated Jessica Andrade in R2 in 3′57 by TKO.
- Welterweights: Robbie Lawler defeated Bobby Voelker in R2 in 24 seconds by KO.
- Welterweights: Rory MacDonald defeated Jake Ellenberger after 3R by unanimous decision.
- UFC Flyweight title match: Demetrious Johnson defeated John Moraga in R5 in 3′43 by submission.
There was some criticism about DJ being in the main event slot instead of MacDonald/Ellenberger. DJ in the main event turned out to be the right call.
Chris Weidman beats 3-to-1 favorite Anderson Silva
Event: UFC 162 (Saturday, July 6th at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas)
- Welterweights: Mike Pierce defeated David Mitchell in R2 in 2′55 by TKO.
- Welterweights: Brian Melancon defeated Seth Baczynski in R1 in 4′59 by KO.
- Lightweights: Edson Barboza defeated Rafaello Oliveira in R2 in 1′44 by TKO from leg kicks.
- Heavyweights: Gabriel Gonzaga defeated Dave Herman in R1 in 17 seconds by KO.
- Lightweights: Norman Parke defeated Kazuki Tokudome after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Middleweights: Andrew Craig (-160, 8 to 5 favorite) defeated Chris Leben (+120) after 3R by split decision.
- Featherweights: Cub Swanson (-240, 12 to 5 favorite) defeated Dennis Siver (+190) in R3 in 2′24 by TKO.
- Middleweights: Mark Munoz (-120, 6 to 5 favorite) defeated Tim Boetsch (-105) after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Middleweights: Tim Kennedy (-150, 3 to 2 favorite) defeated Roger Gracie (+130) after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Featherweights: Frankie Edgar (-500, 5 to 1 favorite) defeated Charles Oliveira (+400) after 3R by unanimous decision.
- UFC Middleweight title match: Chris Weidman defeated Anderson Silva (-250, 5 to 2 favorite) in R2 in 1′18 by TKO to win the title.
GIF – Anderson Clowning http://t.co/s3PGQE0VIO
— ZombieProphet (@ZProphet_MMA) July 7, 2013
Does Vitor Belfort realize that he is back in the middleweight championship dinosaur race now? He must be excited about this atmosphere.
— Jordan Breen (@jordanbreen) July 7, 2013
It is hilarious how everyone is now blaming Anderson Silva for dropping his hands. If Silva won, everyone would be saying he was a genius.
— Chatri Sityodtong (@YODCHATRI) July 7, 2013
— MMA Supremacy (@MMASupremacy) July 7, 2013
Really odd how Dana refuses to criticize Silva's clowning. Guessing he really wants to book that big-money rematch and not piss off Silva.
— Dann Stupp (@MMAjunkieDann) July 7, 2013
— Amir Khan (@AmirKingKhan) July 7, 2013
— Josh Gross (@JoshGrossESPN) July 7, 2013