Friend of our site

MMA Headlines


Bleacher Report

MMA Fighting

MMA Torch

MMA Weekly

Sherdog (News)

Sherdog (Articles)

Liver Kick

MMA Mania

Bloody Elbow

MMA Ratings

Rating Fights

Yahoo MMA Blog

Search this site

Latest Articles

News Corner

MMA Rising

Audio Corner


Sherdog Radio

Eddie Goldman

Video Corner

Fight Hub

Special thanks to...

Link Rolodex

Site Index

To access our list of posting topics and archives, click here.

Friend of our site

Buy and sell MMA photos at MMA Prints

Site feedback

Fox Sports: "Zach Arnold's Fight Opinion site is one of the best spots on the Web for thought-provoking MMA pieces."

« | Home | »

What Happens If the Custodial Parent Misses Court

By Zach Arnold | April 12, 2022

Print Friendly and PDF

If possible, judges allow both parents to work together to develop a plan that works for their family. The parenting plan includes the visiting schedule, which describes when the child will be with each parent. Sometimes a parent receives “physical custody of the child.” In some states, this parent is called the custodial parent. But Arizona doesn`t use the terms: custody, physical custody, or custodial parent. On the contrary, as discussed in other articles on our website, Arizona uses the term parental time instead of physical custody. Parenting time is described in the parties` education plan – or in the visiting agreement – which is accepted as a court order if approved by the court. And once the visiting agreement becomes a court order, parents can face legal problems if they don`t follow the agreement. It is true that a parent`s rights can be significantly restricted if they continue not to comply with the court order and not exercise parental leave. After going through the divorce proceedings, you may not want to have to go back to court. However, it may be necessary to update the child`s custody and visitation agreement to protect you and your physical and mental well-being. If you miss a family court appearance, the proceedings could continue without you and you would lose the opportunity to present your case.

In most cases, this will result in a default judgment against you and in favor of the other party.1 In other words, failure to appear in court could result in an easy victory for the opposing party, and you could lose custody, access, or property rights. As a custodial parent, it`s understandable to be stressed if the non-custodial parent doesn`t take the children. If you do not show up when you are summoned to court, it can have catastrophic effects on your case. In addition to preventing you from presenting an argument and presenting your evidence, missing a family court hearing date can also result in civil penalties and/or fines. If you find yourself in a situation where the other parent is not following the parenting plan, including the visitation plan, you should speak to a family law lawyer to explore options for change. As long as it is not a constant problem, parents should do everything in their power to work together in the best interests of the child. Co-parenting can be difficult, especially if your ex-spouse doesn`t follow the order of visitation. In addition, if the parent has been absent from the child`s life for too long, the parent may be ordered to participate in a therapeutic intervention if they wish to interfere in the child`s life.

The parent who resides outside the child`s principal residence is designated as a non-resident or non-custodial parent in other jurisdictions. If you are having difficulty visiting the non-custodial parent, contact a lawyer to discuss what steps you can take. If you missed a family court appointment, contact our experienced lawyers at Wallin & Klarich. Our experienced lawyers have over 30 years of experience in successfully representing our clients in family law matters. We are convinced that we can help you achieve the best possible result in your case. If you are the non-resident parent, it is best to visit at the scheduled time if possible. If the current schedule is no longer feasible and you therefore lack parenting time, you should discuss the situation with a lawyer, as it may be appropriate to change the current schedule. Similarly, if a parent is unable to pay child support at any given time, they should still be allowed to see their child during the scheduled hours. The custody hearing allows both parties to argue in favour of the type of custody that should be granted to them. In most cases, this corresponds to a division of time between the parents, with a custodial parent and the non-custodial parent.

Here, a parent is absent, which prevents his version of the story from being told. You have the right to ask the court to enforce its order. You can do this by filing a verified contempt claim with the court that ordered your visit. You can try to hire a lawyer to help you; If you can`t get a lawyer, you can file the application yourself. (However, it would be easier if you had a lawyer). You can receive a verified contempt request and submit it yourself. If you don`t constantly exercise your parenting time, it could have a negative impact on your future parenting time. The custody decision must be approved by a judge to determine whether it contains an appropriate visitation schedule that facilitates co-parenting and is in the best interests of the child. Once the custody order is in place, both parents are expected to adhere to the visitation schedule. While a judge is unlikely to force a parent to spend time with their child, the Supreme Court expects both parents to follow the parenting plan. While most people want to exercise their parental rights to see their children as much as possible, there are times when a parent does not pick up their children when the courts ask them to.

This does not mean that the ex waives his parental rights, so he always has the option to go to court to change custody. Typically, the court will ask the custodial parent to follow the court`s access order. If the custodial parent still does not follow the order, the court can punish the custodial parent with a fine or even jail time. The court may also change the visitation or even the custody order if the custodial parent continues to refuse to follow the court order. The most important thing to remember, whether you are the custodial parent or not, is to always abide by the court custody order. If you want to change or modify the order in any way, you must do so through the court system. Any change in behaviour made without formally changing the court order may result in a judge charging you with contempt of court. If you`re looking for more information, you can visit the UCCJEA website to learn more about custody laws in your state.

Unfortunately, a judge cannot force anyone to want to be a parent. And will usually not “force” anyone to spend time with their child. However, there may be some consequences if one of the parents does not respect the visiting schedule. If the child is not taken care of on time, the school must first contact the appropriate parent. You should also take detailed notes about missed tours. If you are unable to match the non-custodial parent, you must ask the court to take action in your case. You must ensure that your child`s school or daycare has a copy of the court order and the non-resident parent`s contact information (including phone number). I have a court order for the visit. The custodial parent will not let me visit him. What must I do? If a non-custodial parent leaves the child at school, at a friend`s house, or at an extracurricular activity, the other parent often has no choice but to drop what they are doing to pick up the child.

There are several ways for a judge to deal with visiting violations. How the violation of the visitation order is handled depends on the severity of the violation, the frequency with which the parent skipped the visit, and the best interests of the child. .

Topics: Uncategorized | No Comments » | Permalink | Trackback |

Comments are closed.