By Zach Arnold | September 29, 2014
The celebration after he wins is the best part of a Rory MacDonald fight. He studies tape just to mimic the human emotion of happiness.
— Jonathan Snowden (@mmaencyclopedia) October 5, 2014
The good news? UFC did some very solid business in Sweden and Halifax with their Saturday double-header. Over 10,000 at the Metro Centre. Over 10,000 in Sweden for a million dollar gate. Rory MacDonald tore apart Tarec Saffiedine and is ready for Johny Hendricks or Robbie Lawler. Raphael Assuncao had no trouble with Bryan Caraway but now is the odd-man out with UFC giving
Conor McGregor Dominick Cruz a title shot against TJ Dillashaw.
The bad news? Rick Story exposed Gunnar Nelson. And most people didn’t see the Halifax fights on TV because UFC got pre-empted on Fox Sports 1 for the 18-inning marathon game between the Giants and Nationals. The UFC running on Saturday nights during college football season is a risky move and they will get pre-empted for a Big 12 game. Running against Major League Baseball is another no-no. Fox will always choose a NASCAR race, an MLB post-season game, or a Big 12 game as lead-in programming for Fox Sports Live any day of the week.
Rory MacDonald had exactly the type of performance needed after no one watched his PPV fight in Vancouver four months ago. UFC has to hope and pray that fans stuck through their FX impromptu telecast and watched the fight. Otherwise, another scenario where few people witnessed Rory do his thing.
The UFC can continue their global schedule but it comes with a price domestically in the United States when you are running against bigger sports fish on television. The only solace they can take is that FS1/FX didn’t get dropped from Suddenlink cable like Spike & other Viacom channels did. If you’re a Bellator fan, not a happy time right now if you’re stuck with Suddenlink.
Event: UFC Fight Night 2014 on October 4th in Stockholm, Sweden at Ericsson Globe Arena
- Featherweights: Zubaira Tukhugov defeated Ernest Chavez in R1 in 4′21 by TKO.
- Lightweights: Mairbek Taisumov defeated Marcin Bandel in R1 in 1′01 by TKO.
- Middleweights: Krzysztof Jotko defeated Tor Troeng after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Middleweights: Cathal Pendred defeated Gasan Umalatov after 3R by split decision.
- Featherweights: Dennis Siver defeated Charles Rosa after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Welterweights: Nico Musoke defeated Alexander Yakovlev after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Middleweights: Magnus Cedenblad defeated Scott Askham after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Featherweights: Mike Wilkinson defeated Niklas Backstrom in R1 in 1′19 by KO.
- Light Heavyweights: Jan Blachowicz defeated Ilir Latifi in R1 in 1′58 by TKO.
- Featherweights: Max Holloway violently defeated Akira Corassani in R1 in 3′11 by KO.
- Welterweights: Rick Story defeated Gunnar Nelson after 5R by split decision.
Event: UFC Fight Night on October 4th in Halifax, Nova Scotia at the Metro Centre
TV: Fox Sports 1
- Bantamweights: Pedro Munhoz defeated Jerrod Sanders in R1 in 39 seconds with a guillotine choke hold.
- Welterweights: Albert Tumenov defeated Matt Dwyer in R1 in 63 seconds by KO with a head kick.
- Lightweights: Paul Felder defeated Jason Saggo after 3R by split decision.
- Welterweights: Olivier Aubin-Mercier defeated Jake Lindsey in R2 in 3′22 with an inverted triangle kimura submission.
- Welterweights: Nordine Taleb defeated Li Jingliang after 3R by split decision.
- Lightweights: Daron Cruickshank defeated Anthony Njokuani after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Flyweights: Chris Kelades defeated Patrick Holohan after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Bantamweights: Mitch Gagnon defeated Roman Salazar in R1 in 2′06 with a choke sleeper hold.
- Middleweights: Elias Theodorou defeated Bruno Santos after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Lightweights: Chad Laprise defeated Yosdenis Cedeno after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Bantamweights: Raphael Assuncao defeated Bryan Caraway after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Welterweights: Rory MacDonald defeated Tarec Saffiedine in R3 in 1′28 by TKO.
Event: UFC 179 on Saturday, October 25th in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil at Maracanazinho Gym
TV: Fox Sports 1/PPV
- Lightweights: Fabricio Camoes vs. Josh Shockley
- Lightweights: Gilbert Burns vs. Christos Giagos
- Featherweights: Felipe Arantes vs. Andre Fili
- Flyweights: Scott Jorgensen vs. Wilson Reis
- Yan Cabral vs. Naoyuki Kotani
- Welterweights: William Macario vs. Neil Magny
- Lightweights: Alan Patrick vs. Beneil Dariush
- Featherweights: Darren Elkins vs. Lucas Martins
- Light Heavyweights: Fabio Maldonaldo vs. Hans Stringer
- Light Heavyweights: Glover Teixeira vs. Phil Davis
- UFC Featherweight title match: Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes