By Zach Arnold | September 21, 2013
The judge who scored Jon Jones 49-46 over Alexander Gustafsson was Chris Lee. Richard Bertrand & Doug Crosby were 48-47 each.
— FightOpinion (@FightOpinion) September 22, 2013
Event: UFC 165 (Saturday, September 21st from the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
TV: Fox Sports 2/Fox Sports 1/PPV
- Heavyweights: Daniel Omielanczuk defeated Nandor Guelmino in R3 in 3′18 by KO.
- Bantamweights: Alex Caceres defeated Roland Delorme after 3R by split decision.
- Welterweights: Michel Prazeres defeated Jesse Ronson after 3R by split decision.
- Lightweights: John Makdessi defeated Renee Forte in R1 in 2′01 by KO.
- Bantamweights: Mitch Gagnon defeated Dustin Kimura in R1 in 4′05 by submission with a choke sleeper hold.
- Welterweights: Stephen Thompson defeated Chris Clements in R1 in 1′27 by TKO from punches.
- Bantamweights: Wilson Reis defeated Ivan Menjivar after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Lightweights: Myles Jury defeated Mike Ricci after 3R by split decision.
- Lightweights: Khabib Nurmagomedov (-250, 5 to 2 favorite) defeated Pat Healy (+200) after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Middleweights: Francis Carmont (+160) defeated Costa Philippou (-200, 2 to 1 favorite) after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Heavyweights: Brendan Schaub (EVEN) defeated Matt Mitrione in R1 in 4′06 with a choke.
- Bantamweights: Renan Barao (-600, 6 to 1 favorite) defeated Eddie Wineland (+450) in R2 in 35 seconds by TKO.
- UFC Light Heavyweight title match: Jon Jones (-750) defeated Alexander Gustafsson (+600) after 5R by unanimous decision to retain the title (48-47, 48-47, 49-46). A judge gave Jones four rounds!
Outside of UFC 165, Anthony Pettis vs. Josh Thomson is now booked because TJ Grant is recovering from a concussion. Move makes sense in that Thomson is a regional guy and will help out some ticket sales at Arco Arena in Sacramento. There’s a vocal group of fans suggesting Pettis vs. Aldo in a title vs. title match for the Fox broadcast but Pettis looking strong on network television is not a bad thing, either.
Only minor headache for UFC here is that Thomson will attract some political heat for the organization because of his prior comments about gay marriage.
Three big finishes saved a brutally long UFC FS1 Brazil show
Event: UFC Fight Night (Wednesday, September 4th from Jornalista Felipe Drumond Stadium in Belo Horizonte, Brazil)
TV: Fox Sports 1 (starting at 5 PM EST/2 PM PST)
- Welterweights: Sean Spencer defeated Yuri Villefort after 3R by split decision.
- Welterweights: Ivan Jorge defeated Keith Wisniewski after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Middleweights: Elias Silverio defeated Joao Zeferino after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Lightweights: Lucas Martins defeated Ramiro Hernandez in R1 in 70 seconds with a choke sleeper hold.
- Featherweights: Edimilson Souza defeated Felipe Arantes after 3R by split decision.
- Featherweights: Ali Bagautinov defeated Marcos Vinicius in R3 in 3′28 by TKO.
- Middleweights: Rafael Natal defeated Tor Troeng after 3R by unanimous decision.
- Lightweights: Piotr Hallmann defeated Francisco Trinaldo in R2 in 3′50 by submission from kimura.
- Bantamweights: Joe Benavidez defeated Jussier da Silva in R1 in 3′07 by TKO.
- Middleweights: Jacare Souza defeated Yushin Okami in R1 in 2′47 by TKO.
- Light Heavyweights: Glover Teixeira defeated Ryan Bader in R1 in 2′55 by TKO.
Teixeira will now face the winner of the Jon Jones/Alexander Gustafsson fight. Chael Sonnen will fight Rashad Evans in the semi main-event of the UFC 11/16 Las Vegas card headlined by Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks.
The GSP NOS drink commercial was … curious.
The officiating was all over the map at the Brazil show. Glen Trowbridge working as a judge…
Small crowd at Brazil show that was absolutely deflated when Trinaldo got submitted. Eerily quiet. Crowd thankfully went home on a pretty happy note.
As for The Ultimate Fighter debut with Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate… one was ice-cold ruthless one minute, pouty the next minute, and one was quite the chatty social butterfly. Ronda’s in Bulgaria right now… Ronda picked Shayna Baszler right away. Roxy Modafferi shined on TV.
I'm glad they got someone to do their hair, what a pain in the ass to have it all up in yo face.
— UFC (@ufc) September 5, 2013