By Zach Arnold | September 2, 2007
Lots of news and notes coming out of the Art of War III event from Dallas, TX. on Saturday. Results here and event PBP here. The event drew around 8,000 (although there is a debate about that number), which is a respectable crowd. Two ‘upsets’ at the top of the card with both Jeremy Horn and Jeff Monson losing.
Michael David Smith at the AOL Fanhouse is calling for Renato Babalu to banned from MMA.
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Rich Franklin has taped a 30-minute TV pilot called “American Fighter.”
Then came the famed Zuffa myth about the “rule changes” like no biting, head-butting, hair pulling and eye gouging. They quoted Dana White talking about why people die in boxing all the time and not in MMA (rules and gloves allowing repeated punches to the head). The story had White claim every participant is tested for steroids before every match. That’s not even close to true. I think there has been one UFC ever (the 7/7 show in Sacramento) where every single participant on the card was tested. Two shows this year had no testing at all, but I doubt you’ll see that again because UFC was embarrassed by that fact. Most have a good number of people tested, such as Saturday’s show having 10 of the 18 tested at random including all the top guys. The story quoted the same football quotes about how if they tested like UFC, there would only be quarterbacks and kickers.
Dana White on how negotiations went with Fedor’s camp:
“I don’t like to talk about contract negotiations with the public — but it didn’t go well,” White said. “These guys are crazy.”
While White did not give details, he indicated in the forthcoming interview that the meeting was not successful.
Dana and talent relations… another example of rough times.
Apy Echteld, Fedor’s Holland manager, also indicated that things didn’t go so well at the negotiating table. There are a few of Echteld’s past enemies in Japan who are probably smiling at this right now.
Onto today’s headlines.
- MMA Weekly: Writing an MMA hatchet piece
- The Biloxi Sun Herald (MS): Alan Belcher signs new four-fight contract with UFC, will fight Kalib Starnes on 10/20 in Cincinnati
- UFC HP: The Assassin’s creed – be exciting
- UFC Junkie: Travis Wiuff defeats Sean Salmon in Las Vegas
- Irish Whip Fighting: UFC 75 = History
- Fight Report: Fulgencio Zuniga exposes Victor Oganov!
- Yahoo Sports (Kevin Iole): Undefeated Brandon Vera back on track
- The Fayetteville Observer (NC): MMA is the ultimate challenge
- The South Florida Sun-Sentinel: MMA gaining faithful following throughout South Florida