By Zach Arnold | August 29, 2007
It is not a good day in the world of Bodog.
You, too, can buy Mike Tyson’s poop.
If Kevin Iole called his critics last week “keyboard warriors,” I can only imagine what he is going to say after reading this. Luke Thomas has some words for Iole. Both Frank Trigg and Joe Stevenson think Babalu’s days in the UFC could be finished. Plus, Don Frye gives advice to someone who lives with their sister.
I feel your pain, Sam. Believe me.
There are brand new videos over at the Fox News web site of their Fight Game video series. That link is to the RSS feed of the videos.
Some new photos of the Couture/Gonzaga fight from UFC 74.
The ever-brilliant Dana White discusses steroids (again):
“There are a lot of things you can’t do, it’s illegal, everybody knows it and there’s no sport out there right now, where the penalty is harsher, than in the combat sports. When these guys get busted for steroids, you lose the ability to make a living for a year,” he added.
I’m sure the athletes competiting in cycling and the Olympics would like to issue to a rebuttal to White on this matter.
Speaking of the topic of steroids, Jeff Monson appeared on Jordan Breen’s radio show on Tuesday (starts at the 23 minute time mark). Monson stated that steroids should be legal for fighters to take because the playing field is currently uneven and that the current situation allows fighters with a lot of money to obtain high-end performance-enhancers while those who follow the rules and are drug-free get punished for being on good behavior. “It’s hard to get to this level without using something” and “I’ve used things before, but it’s been quite a while.”
Josh Barnett’s recent comments about the UFC Heavyweight title are drawing heat with UFC Mania readers. I should remind those readers that Barnett has long-been stating this position and he did so a while ago on Fight Opinion Radio. I do find it interesting how many of those UFC Mania commentators think that Couture could beat Barnett in a fight in 2007. Sam Caplan also thinks that Barnett’s comments are mainly a gimmick. They’re not. The fact that people are getting so upset about Barnett’s comments makes me laugh. BTW, using the “A > B > C” logic like in the SnB post is silly. Just because Gonzaga beat Mirko, who beat Barnett, does not mean that Gonzaga would beat Barnett. Styles makes fights, and Mirko’s style is kyrptonite to Josh.
Luke Thomas talks about the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter. He’s right, as usual.
Here’s an easy-to-understand financial sheet of the IFL’s business this year. All you need to know is that numbers in () mean deficits. In the IFL’s case, they are spending $3-4 dollars for every dollar they make. Not a good ratio to have. Also, here is some new filing information relating to a ’statement of changes in beneficial ownership of securities.’
Here is the 10Q report of Entremetrix, the company that bought out Gladiator Challenge. The company has $31,000 in cash-on-hand.
Onto today’s headlines.
- Five Ounces of Pain: Cub Swanson vs. Jens Pulver now set for November 3rd?
- 411 Mania: Interview with Bart Palaszewski
- Yahoo Sports (Kevin Iole): The readers get Randy
- The Houston Chronicle (Steve Sievert): Long live PRIDE? Hardly
- MMA Madness: One-on-one with Din Thomas
- MMA HQ: Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Andrei Arlovski
- The Canadian Press: Montreal Alouettes linebacker Diamond Ferri mixes football and MMA
- The Los Angeles Times: Randy Couture breaks bone in title win
- Fox Sports (Alex Marvez): How to handle Brock Lesnar’s UFC introduction
- The Orlando Sentinel: Randy Couture’s victory bolsters UFC heavyweights
- Bodog Beat: Complete results for BodogFight Vancouver
- ESPN the Magazine: Seven things we learned from UFC 74 (the article claims Roger Huerta is overrated)
- MMA Weekly: New fighter rankings
- The Fight Network: The latest information on UFC 75 in England
- MMA News: One week w/ Jorge Masvidal before becoming a BodogFight star
- The Red Bluff Daily News (CA): R.B. fighter Kenji Alejandre has promise ahead
- The Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle (TN): More on John Renken and what he’s up to
- Hawk Central (Iowa City): Former Iowa wrestler Eric Juergens to fight at Extreme Challenge 83 event